Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Taking a Chance

August 15th, 2016.  6:29 Greenwich time.  Indianapolis, IN.  The Hoosier State.  The Crossroads of America.  Home of Larry Bird, Big Bird, and the blue bird.

Caitlin Camic is seated next to me, and for us 2 ladies, today is our first day serving as Americorps VISTA volunteers at Jameson Camp.  It is currently raining outside, unfortunately wiping out the scavenger hunt planned for us.  I am somewhat relieved because I did not pack my goulashes.

So what is Americorps?  And what is Jameson Camp?  And most importantly, what is love?

Americorps is the domestic peace corps.  Volunteers receive a modest stipend to serve communities around the country on a one-year contract.  It's not about the money you receive, it's about the impact you leave (#rhymetime).

Jameson Camp is a year-long youth development camp.  Their slogan is 'Get outside. Grow inside.' This is similar to the phrase my mom told me when I was young: "Go outside. Don't come inside.' Jameson is inclusive, welcoming children with minor social, emotional, or behavioral challenges. The camp relies heavily on donations, thus providing families an affordable camping option for their children.

On our morning tour around the camp, Caitlin and I began chatting with Chance.  He is one of the oldest members of Jameson Camp.  I was sad to see Chance just standing outside in the rain.  He was getting soaked so I opened the door and asked if he wanted to come in.  Chance looked at me and nodded his head.  In hindsight, it was probably the wrong decision because the floor had just been cleaned and his paws were dirty.

Love,
Sincerely,
Yours truly,

Kevin

'Please let me in!
Oh, pretty please!
I'll be a good boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment